Kathy’s journey to Contribution began in high school when a teacher invited her to begin volunteering her time to work in a special program to help low-income students. She shares her journey of begin inspired to continue working with kids through her college years, and then take this work to a whole new level later after working with Operation Dream in San Francisco. Kathy began to connect the needs in the community with the kids, to a Vision that was developing in her heart on how to make a bigger difference. With that inspiration, she partnered with PSI World, a Non-Profit Organization, and started the very first Camp Choice.
The purpose of Camp Choice is to empower youth to create positive change in themselves and their communities by realizing the power of choice, responsibility, and their effectiveness as positive leaders.
Every summer for the last 18 years, kids from different housing communities around the San Francisco area have set out on a 3-hour bus ride to a ranch in Clearlake Oaks, California. High Valley Ranch provides the space and environment for these kids safety, peace of mind, and transformation. This space and the volunteer staff make it possible for the kids to let down their guards and just be kids. During the week the kids have the opportunity to work together as a community, through experiential exercises were 5 keys to the community that are emphasized: leadership, respect, teamwork, responsibility, and courage. By the end of the week, they have a new vision of possibility and leave equipped with tools for making empowering choices, and a new understanding of community and connection can support them in their lives.
Now, Camp Choice is expanding Worldwide, and volunteers are traveling from all over to be apart of this transformation.
Dive in, as we discover what’s possible when someone takes action every day on their vision of contribution, and never gives up!
A few highlights from this interview include:
- If you’re wondering what transformation might be possible when we come from contribution, Kathy shares her personal experience and the impact she has noticed through the work.
- Learn WHY volunteers travel from all over the world to be apart of transforming the lives of these young leaders and discover the transformation they experience in their own lives through it.
- Discover how to overcome obstacles on the path, and what true commitment looks like.
- Dive in with us as we talk about the power of contribution and how creating a vision around a greater possibility can make a huge difference for someone.
- “I want to know more about them. Their life, their cares, their dreams.”- Kathy Quinlan-Perez
- “Don’t ever give up. You don’t know who’s listening.” – Kathy Quinlan-Perez
- “We really are in this world to live together!” – Kathy Quinlan-Perez
- “They always knew that there was someone that had their back!” – Kathy Quinlan-Perez
- “I have to communicate in a way that they would hear me.” – Kathy Quinlan- Perez
- “I had a very solid vision of a community that we can make a huge difference in.” – Kathy Quinlan-Perez
- “To think is to create.”- Kathy Quinlan-Perez
- Make a Donation! Sponsor a Child to attend Camp Choice: www.PSI.org/donate (Make a note that your donation is for camp choice.)
- Contact Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or find out more about Camp Choice.
- Find out more about Camp Choice at Campchoice.org
- Visit us at Your Life of Contribution for more Inspirational stories.
- Share your story of Contribution and engage with Inspiration Nation on Facebook.